Let’s talk about a really painful subject: ingrown facial hair. Ye know how it goes, pirates. Ye shape yer beard by removing stubble from parts of yer face. And the next thing ye know suddenly ye get a little lump and it’s painful too. That little lump is an ingrown facial hair and it might look red and itch as well. This happens when the sharp end of a hair that’s been shaved (or, if yer that kind of pirate, tweezed or waxed) grows back and the sharp end pokes into your skin. Here are some ways to prevent that from happening:
- Don’t shave at all, but unless yer a member of ZZ Top that might not be an option.
- Be sure to clean yer mug every day. Ingrown hairs are more likely if yer skin be dirty or oily.
- Ye might even try exfoliatin’ yer mug. Ye can use some baking soda and mix it with liquid soap for that purpose. Afterwards rinse with warm water and apply moisturizer.
- About that moisturizer: I know some of ye pirates are now thinkin’: what am I? A lassie? Well, here be the thing matey, dry skin’s much more likely to get ingrown hairs. So, if ye don’t want to deal with the red, painful itchiness, then borrow yer pirate wenches’ moisturizer.
- When ye shave, it’s better if yer facial hair is a bit wet. Wet facial hair cuts easier and creates less irritation, hence, it be less likely to give ye ingrown hairs.
Mateys, get yer beard on. The Cap’n is always here to help. Remember, if ye got any pressing beard questions, ye can always send us an email to [email protected] and we’ll be more than happy to answer. Ye can also leave a comment in the comments’ section below and we’ll get right back to you.